Little healthful tidbits that go a long way….
Did you know….that many of the plants that are popular at this time of year can be harmful and even poisonous to cats and dogs? Here’s a rundown of some to keep them away from:
Poinsettia – The flowers and leaves can upset your pet’s stomach but it’s an urban myth that this Christmastime staple is deadly. You do not have to banish it from your home for fear of pet fatality. That said, try to keep it out of the reach of prying paws.
Mistletoe – consuming a few leaves or berries causes mild gastritis. But store bought mistletoe often has plastic berries, and if large quantities of plastic are ingested, your vet may need to induce vomiting. If the plastic remains in the digestive tract, your pet may require surgery.
Amaryllis – All parts of this plant are toxic. Eating the flower or the stem can cause vomiting. But consuming the bulb is most harmful, resulting in hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and neurological issues.
This will help in knowing that you can still enjoy your merry plants.
While we’re on the subject sometimes I’ve been confused between these two plants but I do like the representation….the holly, with its green leaves and red berries, reflects a passion for new life and fresh beginnings. mistletoe symbolize romance and the immortal values that society preserves in its rituals.