Sweet meets Savory
This healthy & hearty salad made in one pot is hard to beat. It takes maybe 30 minutes to prepare and it’s a delicious vegetarian meal packed with protein which comes in handy for lunch. Non-vegetarians can enjoy it for dinner served as a side along roast chicken or fish.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetarian broth (or water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup finely diced flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup sliced toasted almonds
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot add in onion and sauté until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the following spices: turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds more.
- Next add in broth (or water) and quinoa; bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Stir in chickpeas, cranberries and parsley to the quinoa and mix until well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with toasted almonds and extra parsley. Serves 4.
- To serve: Place in mason jars or meal prep containers for lunch throughout the week. Garnish with extra toasted almonds.
Quinoa: with 8 grams per cup, this gluten-free seed-like grain is a fantastic source of protein, magnesium, antioxidants, and fiber.
Recipe & Photo: ambitiouskitchen.com