I’ve been pouring store bought coconut milk over granola, oatmeal and adding it in place of water to smoothies for a looooong time. That’s before I knew how so much more delicious and easy it is to make my own. Trust me, bought coconut milk does not compare to homemade. It’s great for smoothies, but after making your own you’ll realize how watery it is in comparison because they use more water to coconut ratio. I prefer coconut over almond milk. It’s my tropical side coming out.
When you make your own it’s almost like cracking open a fresh coconut. Really!
Ingredients (for about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
- 3-4 cups water (use less water for thicker, creamier milk!)
- Pinch salt
- Add optional: 1 Tbsp maple syrup, ½ tsp. vanilla extract or scrape half a vanilla bean for added sweetness. fyi: I have not added any extras so far
- Add coconut, 3 cups of hot (not boiling) water, pinch of salt (I like himalayan), and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blender. Top with lid and cover with a towel to ensure it doesn’t splash. Blend for about 2 minutes or until the mixture seems well combined.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve over a large mixing bowl. Save pulp for smoothies, baked goods or add it to oatmeal. You won’t waste any and it gives added coconut taste.
- Transfer to a sealed container or glass bottle and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for about one week. Shake before use, as it can separate in the refrigerator (due to no preservatives!). Some recommend squeezing the milk through a cheese cloth after using sieve but I didn’t need to do this.
FOR COFFEE LOVES (like me)
And if you want to go one step further try making your own coconut milk creamer. I’ve been using So Good fat free Coconut Milk Creamer with French Vanilla which works really well to sweeten up coffee instead of adding sugar. But I can’t find it easily in Vancouver and I’ve tried all the other brands which don’t compare in my opinion. I still like sweetener (that’s not gonna change) so I’m now making my own.
Homemade Coconut Milk Creamer
Homemade coconut milk creamer for coffee is also super easy to make. All you need is quality coconut milk and a healthy sweetener like honey and natural vanilla extract. Full fat coconut milk contains the healthy medium chain fats that are in coconut oil.
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Blend the coconut milk, sweetener of choice and vanilla extract together until the creamer is mixed well.
- Pour desired amount into your coffee or tea and store the remaining creamer in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to shake the creamer well before using. Enjoy! This creamer will be good for up to two weeks.
One thought on “Healthy Alternative: Homemade Coconut Milk”
definitely going to try this for sure